Since 2000, Particle has been bringing their extraordinary musicianship and instrumental jazz-rock-blues-fusion techno-flavored jams to sold-out shows across the country. They have one studio album that was released in 2004 titled Launchpad and have literally transformed into another band recently by adding two guitarists, Eric Combe and Steve Metzger. Metzger unfortunately had to leave the band recently due to a family illness.
Transformations Live (DVD) & Transformations Live For The People (2 CD Set) gave their fans a window into their new live show for the first time at the Henry Fonda Theater in Hollywood on February 24, 2006. The new members of the band have breathed new life and a different kind of element into their music. They take many new roads and side streets during a performance highlighting these aspects; it is all very exciting and fresh.
It is obvious the respect they command in the musical community as Joe Satriani, Blackalicious, DJ Logic, and Robbie Kreiger of The Doors step on stage to join the band and add to their adventurous musical excursions. They do a great job with The Doors classic “LA Woman.” Having Kreiger there to show them the way was quite the treat to watch.
This band will always be in transformation because of their free spirited open ended attitude towards the development of any song they play. Anyone that happens to be along for the ride has the time of their life. I saw Satriani smiling enough while jamming with this band.
The bonus features are generous including interviews with band members, additional studio and concert footage, and a good overview from band members about how they transformed into what they are today and what it means to each individual personally. The feeling I had listening and watching this band perform was a mixed bag of emotions, there were highs and melancholy but most of all I really enjoyed everything I heard and the variety was tremendous. All of these factors came into play to make this experience memorable and one I would choose to enjoy more than once.
You can feel the sense of community that Particle has with each other and their fans, its very similar to that special connection bands like The Grateful Dead and Phish had, its something that is not easy to define, its more of ‘you have to be there to understand it’ kind of thing.
I have to give Shout Factory a lot credit for their great work and I will continue to do so. The product is always packaged well and presented in a way that fits each band they represent. So, as usual, a job well done. I appreciate the label responding to my special request to receive the CD version of the concert so I could enjoy both formats. There is something very cool about listening to a live audio version then watching it take on a life of its own before your eyes. In fundamental nature, it is a true transformation, which is the entire premise behind this ambitious project. Jam Band freaks will love every minute of this and those that are not particularly attracted to this genre would serve themselves well by checking out Particle. This band is going to be around for a long time and will make an impression on the formation of musical advances as time passes. It will be interesting to see how the importance of this band takes shape over the next few years.
DVD Track Listing:
3. 7 Minutes Till Radio Darkness (Part II)
4. Below Radar
5. LA Woman (with Robby Krieger)
6. Eye Of The Storm
7. Set Break
8. Particle People (with Blackalicious)
9. E-Pro (with Blackalicious)
10. W (with Joe Satriani and DJ Logic)
11. Sun Mar
13. Lucky Man
14. Superstition (with Joe Satriani, Robby Krieger, Blackalicious, DJ Logic, Lucent Dossier)
• Particle Transforms featurette with “Triple Threat” and the new song “The Sweeper”
• Collaborations featurette with “Simulator” featuring Joe Satriani
• Transformations photo gallery featuring “Smile” live 2.24.06.
• 5.1 Surround Sound
CD TRACK LIST:
1. Particle People/E-Pro (With Blackalicious) (recorded at the Henry Fonda Theater)
2. Triple Threat (recorded at the Great American Music Hall)
3. Ghetto Queen (recorded at the Great American Music Hall)
4. Fiyo On The Bayou (recorded at the Great American Music Hall)
5. W (With Joe Satriani and DJ Logic) (recorded at the Henry Fonda Theater)
6. Ed + Molly (recorded at the Great American Music Hall)
1. Eye Of The Storm (recorded at the Henry Fonda Theater)
2. Below Radar (recorded at the Great American Music Hall)
3. LA Woman (With Robbie Krieger) (recorded at the Henry Fonda Theater)
4. Losing It (recorded at the Great American Music Hall)
5. Sun Mar 11 (recorded at the Henry Fonda Theater)
6. Thanks (recorded at the Henry Fonda Theater)
7. Lucky Man (recorded at the Henry Fonda Theater)